Expedition Around Argolida
and the saronic islands
A challenging expedition for experienced Sea Kayakers. An 8-day journey from Epidaurus, on the north coast of the Argolic Peninsula to Nafplio at the terminus of the Argolic gulf. The trip will follow the coastline of the Peninsula and include crossings to the Saronic islands of Poros, Hydra and Spetsus. The total distance is approximately 200 km.
Arrival and departure
The advertised dates indicate your arrival and departure dates to and from Athens.
- Arrive at Athens Airport anytime before 3 pm. Transfer to Epidavros (3 hrs) will be booked for you when everyone’s flight details are received.
- Depart from Athens anytime after 2 pm. Alternatively stay the night in Athens and depart the following day.
The advertised dates include arrival and departure days ex Athens, 8 full days’ kayaking and 7 nights’ camping.
- Day 1: From Athens airport you will take a shared transfer to Epidaurus on the Peloponnese. Here you will stay at a seaside hotel
- Day 2: Shop at nearby supermarket, load the kayaks, begin the expedition
- Days 2-9: 8 day sea kayaking expedition from Epidavros to Nafplio
- Day 9: Arrive in Nafplio staying in a hotel for the night
- Day 10: Shared transfer to Athens Airport (Departing Nafplio at 9am, takes 3 hours
A laminated A4 map will be provided.
Required Paddling Experience
This expedition is for experienced sea kayakers. You should have enough stamina to paddle to average 25 km per day, which may take up to a total of 6 hours. You should be comfortable with the idea of paddling in moderate wind and waves, as challenging conditions are likely on at least some of the days. You should have practiced the T-rescue and know how to do an assisted deep water re-entry.
Camping will be wild on remote beaches. There are no facilities and no water supply. All camping equipment, food and water must be carried in the kayak. A strong lightweight tent is essential.
The expedition is self catered. Usually we each look after our own breakfast, lunch and snacks and take turns to prepare a group evening meal. Food for the first stage can be bought from a supermarket in Epidavros on the morning of day 1. You are welcome to bring food items from home. There will be an opportunity to stock up every second or third day, allowing us to travel light and live well. Occasional stops at restaurants and coffee shops are a possibility.
Stoves and fuel
Camping stoves will be provided – one per 4 persons. The Trangia stove, includes 2 pots, kettle and a frying pan. The stoves are powered by gas canisters with a screw-on fitting, readily available in local supermarkets.
April in Greece, is a comfortable spring month, with average temperature fluctuating between 13°C and 18°C. On average, rain falls on 7 days/month, so we can expect some wet weather. The sea temperature is around 16°C. Source www.weather-atlas.com
What to wear
For paddling, shorts and a shirt will be sufficient on sunny days. A cagoule (waterproof paddling jacket) and neoprene trousers or similar may be required if its windy or overcast.
See a complete Packing list >